Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Why I'm Reading the Bible in 90 Days

Sometimes when things in life come together in just a certain way, it is not simply a coincidence.

I did a 360 spin/slide in slow motion on a sheet of ice while driving to church a few Sundays ago. By a miracle, my car was not damaged (well, about $30 of work had to be done, but nothing major by a long stretch) and I was still in once piece. I praised God as I got out of the car, and looked up to see the tire marks in the ice showing me where I had been. I looked down the hill where I knew I must continue so as to move my car from the blind spot where I was. The road ahead of me was an un-touched sheet of ice that I would have to navigate carefully as I continued on my way.

That experience solidified something for me: It is easy to know where you've been, but where you are headed is not quite as simple. In the present we are powerless to control the chaos around us, and can only do our best in every situation. The future is a blank slate.

I managed to safely continue on my way that day - and I prayed for new found direction in my life. The direction appeared before me as I read through my blog reader and found Amy's guest post at The Finer Things in Life the very next day. The thought of reading the Bible was inspiring to me - and it never had been before. This was my new direction. Even now a few weeks later, I am still renewed by the thought of the challenge.

Tonight I am going to pick up my copy of The Bible in 90 Days and the Participant's Guide. I think that this challenge will add a fresh outlook and a renewed spirit to my new year.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Glad you're in!!! And, of course, glad you're safe! Swing by MomsToolbox.com Jan 1 when we officially begin. :)

    ReplyDelete